Luis Pinheiro, MSc
Luis Pinheiro is a Senior Epidemiology Expert at the European Medicines Agency (EMA), in the Data Analytics Workstream of the Data Analytics and Methods Taskforce. He is responsible for developing and running real-world data analytics studies and is tasked with methods development and learning within the team. Luis is also a co-chair of the AI Technical Group at EMA. Before moving to the Data Analytics Workstream, Luis worked eight years in drug safety at EMA.
Prior to joining the EMA, he was the Head of the Signal Detection Unit at Infarmed, the Portuguese Regulatory Authority and the Portuguese representative at the Pharmacovigilance Working Party at EMA. Before that, he worked in the Pharmacovigilance Unit of the Faculty of Pharmacy of Lisbon for eight years where he assisted in the teaching of Pharmacoepidemiology and Public health in undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Luis holds a PharmD from the Faculty of Pharmacy of Lisbon (2003) and received his Masters in Epidemiology from the Faculty of Medicine, New University of Lisbon in 2008.
- Pinheiro L, Candore G, Zaccaria C, Slattery J, Arlett P. An algorithm to detect unexpected increases in frequency of reports of adverse events in EudraVigilance. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2018 Jan;27(1):38-45. doi:10.1002/pds.4344. Epub 2017 Nov 16. PubMed PMID: 29143393; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5765515.
- Pinheiro L, Blake K, Januskiene J, Yue QY, Arlett P. Geographical variation in reporting Interstitial Lung Disease as an adverse drug reaction: findings from an European Medicines Agency analysis of reports in EudraVigilance. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2016 Jun;25(6):705-12. doi: 10.1002/pds.3998. Epub 2016 Mar 22. PubMed PMID: 27004571.
- Slattery, J, D Morales, L Pinheiro, and X Kurz (2018). Cohort study of psychiatric adverse events following exposure to Levonorgestrel-containing intrauterine devices in UK general practice. Drug safety 41(10), 951–958.
- Morales, DR, J Slattery, X Kurz, L Pinheiro, and K Hedenmalm (2017). Clinical Indications for Fluoroquinolones in Routine Care. In: PHARMACOEPIDEMIOLOGY AND DRUG SAFETY. Vol. 26. WILEY 111 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN 07030-5774, NJ USA, pp.595–596.
- Morales, DR, J Slattery, L Pinheiro, X Kurz, and K Hedenmalm (2018). Indications for systemic fluoroquinolone therapy in Europe and prevalence of primary-care prescribing in France, Germany and the UK: descriptive population-based study. Clinical drug investigation 38(10), 927–933.
- Morales, DR, J Slattery, A Pacurariu, L Pinheiro, and X Kurz (2018). Association between systemic fluoroquinolone exposure and peripheral neuropathy: Population-based nested case-control study. In: PHARMACOEPIDEMIOLOGY AND DRUG SAFETY. Vol. 27. WILEY 111 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN 07030-5774, NJ USA, pp.337–338.
- Slattery, J, D Morales, L Pinheiro, and X Kurz (2018). Investigation of psychiatric adverse events following exposure to levonorgestrel containing IUDs. In: PHARMACOEPIDEMIOLOGY AND DRUG SAFETY. Vol. 27. WILEY 111 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN 07030-5774, NJ USA, pp.217–217.
- Morales, DR, J Slattery, A Pacurariu, L Pinheiro, P McGettigan, and X Kurz (2019). Relative and Absolute Risk of Tendon Rupture with Fluoroquinolone and Concomitant Fluoroquinolone/Corticosteroid Therapy: Population-Based Nested Case–Control Study. Clinical drug investigation 39(2), 205–213.
- Morales, DR, J Slattery, A Pacurariu, L Pinheiro, P McGettigan, and X Kurz (2019). Correction to: Relative and Absolute Risk of Tendon Rupture with Fluoroquinolone and Concomitant Fluoroquinolone/Corticosteroid Therapy: Population-Based Nested Case-Control Study. Clin Drug Investig.
- Morales, D, A Pacurariu, J Slattery, L Pinheiro, P McGettigan, and X Kurz (2019). Association between peripheral neuropathy and exposure to oral fluoroquinolone or amoxicillin-clavulanate therapy. JAMA neurology.
- Correia Pinheiro, L., Giezen, T.J., Wolff-Holz, E., Weise, M., Laslop, A. and Hidalgo-Simon, A. (2021), Identifiability of Biologicals: An Analysis Using EudraVigilance, the European Union's Database of Reports of Suspected Adverse Drug Reactions. Clin Pharmacol Ther, 110: 1311-1317. https://doi.org/10.1002/cpt.2411">https://doi.org/10.1002/cpt.2411
- Slattery, J, Quinten, C, Candore, G, et al. Ondansetron use in nausea and vomiting during pregnancy: A descriptive analysis of prescription patterns and patient characteristics in UK general practice. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2022; 1- 14. doi:10.1111/bcp.15370
- Pinheiro, LC, Kurz, X. Artificial intelligence in pharmacovigilance: A regulatory perspective on explainability. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2022; 1- 3. doi:10.1002/pds.5524