Hina Khan, PhD
Hina Khan is a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Medical Informatics of the Erasmus MC in Rotterdam. She has worked on data management, exploration, and visualization of smart energy grid data during her two-year postdoctoral research project at the University of Queensland, Australia (2017-2019). She has also received her Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Queensland, Australia (2016). In her Ph.D. thesis, she focused on the specific problem of developing scalable diversification techniques for large scale data exploration platforms.
Her research interests lie in the general area of Data Science with emphasis on Insightful Data Exploration. Her research thus far has focused on several topics in data science with emphasis on representative data extraction, data quality management, visual data recommendations and predictive data modeling.
- Early Career Research Grant with a total funding of $360K (2017).
- Dean’s Award for outstanding PhD Theses (2017).
- Selected among top 16 students from across Australia to present my work at C9-Go8 PhD forum on Big Data held at Nanjing University, China (2015).
- Distinguished Publication Award by the University of Queensland (2014).
- Awarded highly competitive University of Queensland Research Scholarship (2013).
- Rischan Mafrur, Mohamed A. Sharaf, Hina A. Khan: DiVE: Diversifying View Recommendation for Visual Data Exploration. CIKM 2018: 1123-1132, https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3269206.3271744
- Richard Bean, Hina A. Khan: Using solar and load predictions in battery scheduling at the residential level. SIW 2018, https://arxiv.org/abs/1810.11178
- Hina A. Khan: Scalable Diversification for Data exploration platforms. PhD theses 2016. https://doi.org/10.14264/uql.2016.1073
- Hina A. Khan, Mohamed A. Sharaf: Model-Based Diversification for Sequential Exploratory Queries. Data Sci. Eng. 2(2): 151-168 (2017) https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s41019-017-0038-0
- Hina A. Khan, Mohamed A. Sharaf: Progressive diversification for column-based data exploration platforms. ICDE 2015: 327-338 https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7113295
- Zaeem Hussain, Hina A. Khan, Mohamed A. Sharaf: Diversifying with Few Regrets, but too Few to Mention. ExploreDB@SIGMOD/PODS 2015:27-32 https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/2795218.2795225
- Abdullah Albarrak, Tatiana Noboa, Hina A. Khan, Mohamed A. Sharaf, Xiaofang Zhou, Shazia Wasim Sadiq: ORange: Objective-Aware Range Query Refinement. MDM (1) 2014: 333-336 https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6916939
- Hina A. Khan, Mohamed A. Sharaf, Abdullah Albarrak: DivIDE: efficient diversification for interactive data exploration. SSDBM 2014: 15:1-15:12 https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/2618243.2618253
- Hina A. Khan, Marina Drosou, Mohamed A. Sharaf: Scalable diversification of multiple search results. CIKM 2013: 775-780 https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/2505515.2505740
- Hina A. Khan, Marina Drosou, Mohamed A. Sharaf: DoS: an efficient scheme for the diversification of multiple search results. SSDBM 2013: 40:1-40:4 https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/2484838.2484858