Erica Voss, MPH, PMP
Erica Voss is currently a Director in the Epidemiology Analytics group within Epidemiology at Janssen Research & Development, a Johnson & Johnson company. Starting in the IT department, she focused on data warehousing and working with large datasets. In 2007, she started working with observational datasets and later joined the Epidemiology department in 2011. Her projects typically include studying patient populations across different therapeutic areas as well as implementing OHDSI tools, such as converting the Truven MarketScan and Optum Clinformatics claims datasets into the OMOP Common Data Model. Erica received her Bachelor of Science in Information Sciences and Technology at the Pennsylvania State University, her Master in Public Health from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and is currently pursuing her PhD in Medical Informatics at Erasmus MC. She is also a certified Project Management Professional.
Publications - relevant work
- Voss EA, Boyce RD, Ryan PB, van der Lei J, Rijnbeek PR, Schuemie MJ. Accuracy of an automated knowledge base for identifying drug adverse reactions. Journal of Biomedical Informatics. 2017;66:72-81. doi: 10.1016/j.jbi.2016.12.005. PubMed PMID: WOS:000409293100007. Q2
- Knowledge Base workgroup of the Observational Health Data Sciences and Informatics (OHDSI) collaborative. Large-scale adverse effects related to treatment evidence standardization (LAERTES): an open scalable system for linking pharmacovigilance evidence sources with clinical data. J Biomed Semantics. 2017 Mar 7;8(1):11. doi: 10.1186/s13326-017-0115-3. PubMed PMID: 28270198; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5341176.
- Boyce RD, Ryan PB, Norén GN, Schuemie MJ, Reich C, Duke J, Tatonetti NP, Trifirò G, Harpaz R, Overhage JM, Hartzema AG, Khayter M, Voss EA, Lambert CG, Huser V, Dumontier M. Bridging islands of information to establish an integrated knowledge base of drugs and health outcomes of interest. Drug Saf. 2014 Aug;37(8):557-67. doi: 10.1007/s40264-014-0189-0. PubMed PMID: 24985530; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4134480.
Posters - relevant work
- Voss EA, Schuemie MJ, van der Lei J, Rijnbeek PR. Assessing Strategies for Negative Control Selection. (https://www.ohdsi-europe.org/images/symposium-2019/posters/25_Erica_Voss.pdf) European OHDSI Symposium, Rotterdam, NL; 29 March 2019.
- Voss EA, Schuemie MJ, van der Lei J, Rijnbeek PR. Assessing Negative Control Exposure-Outcome Pair Selection Strategies on a Replication Study. (https://www.ohdsi.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/ERICA-VOSS_POSTER_Assessing-Negative-Control-Exposure-Outcome-Pair-Selection-Strategies-on-a-Replication-Study_2019Symposium.pdf) OHDSI Symposium, Bethesda, MD, USA; 15 September 2019.
- Rijnbeek PR, John LH, Praet J, Sena A, Voss EA, Blacketer C, Hughes N, The EHDEN Consortium. The EHDEN Academy: Enabling Large-Scale Community Training. (https://www.ohdsi.org/2019-us-symposium-showcase-110/) OHDSI Symposium, Bethesda, MD, USA; 15 September 2019.
- Rijnbeek, PR, Voss, EA, de Wilde, M, Schuemie, M, van der Lei, J. Conversion of a Dutch general practitioner’s database to the OMOP-CDM: The IPCI Database. OHDSI Symposium, Bethesda, MD; Oct. 2017.
- Voss E, Schuemie M, Ryan P. van der Lei J, Rijnbeek P. Existing Evidence in Published Literature for Drug-Condition Pairs. Montreal ICPE 27-30 August.
Publications - other work
- Wang Q, Reps JM, Kostka KF, Ryan PB, Zou Y, Voss EA, Rijnbeek PR, Chen R, Rao GA, Morgan Stewart H, Williams AE, Williams RD, Van Zandt M, Falconer T, Fernandez-Chas M, Vashisht R, Pfohl SR, Shah NH, Kasthurirathne SN, You SC, Jiang Q, Reich C, Zhou Y. Development and validation of a prognostic model predicting symptomatic hemorrhagic transformation in acute ischemic stroke at scale in the OHDSI network. PLoS One. 2020 Jan 7;15(1):e0226718. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0226718.
- Wang L, Voss EA, Weaver J, Hester L, Yuan Z, DeFalco F, Schuemie MJ, Ryan PB, Sun D, Freedman A, Alba M, Lind J, Meininger G, Berlin JA, Rosenthal N. Diabetic ketoacidosis in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with sodium glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitors versus other antihyperglycemic agents: An observational study of four US administrative claims databases. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2019 Dec;28(12):1620-1628. doi: 10.1002/pds.4887. Epub 2019 Aug 27.
- Wilcox MA, Hardin J, Weaver J, Voss EA. Liver Test Monitoring: Real-World Compliance for Drugs with Monitoring Requirements at 2-Week Intervals or More Frequently. Pharmaceut Med. 2019 Oct;33(5):389-394. doi: 10.1007/s40290-019-00294-z.
- Yuan Z, Voss EA, DeFalco FJ, Pan G, Ryan PB, Yannicelli D, Nessel C. Risk Prediction for Ischemic Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack in Patients Without Atrial Fibrillation: A Retrospective Cohort Study. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2017 Aug;26(8):1721-1731. doi: 10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2017.03.036. Epub 2017 Apr 6. PubMed PMID: 28392100.
- Weinstein RB, Fife D, Sloan S, Voss EA, Treem W. Prevalence of Chronic Metoclopramide Use and Associated Diagnoses in the US Pediatric Population. Paediatr Drugs. 2015 Aug;17(4):331-7. doi: 10.1007/s40272-015-0136-2. PubMed PMID: 26014368; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4516863.
- Voss EA, Ryan PB, Stang PE, Hough D, Alphs L. Switching from risperidone long-acting injectable to paliperidone long-acting injectable or oral antipsychotics: analysis of a Medicaid claims database. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2015 May;30(3):151-7. doi: 10.1097/YIC.0000000000000068. PubMed PMID: 25730525; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4383368.
- Voss EA, Ma Q, Ryan PB. The impact of standardizing the definition of visits on the consistency of multi-database observational health research. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2015 Mar 8;15:13. doi: 10.1186/s12874-015-0001-6. PubMed PMID: 25887092; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4369827.
- Voss EA, Makadia R, Matcho A, Ma Q, Knoll C, Schuemie M, DeFalco FJ, Londhe A, Zhu V, Ryan PB. Feasibility and utility of applications of the common data model to multiple, disparate observational health databases. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2015 May;22(3):553-64. doi: 10.1093/jamia/ocu023. Epub 2015 Feb 10. PubMed PMID: 25670757; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4457111.
- Fife D, Zhu V, Voss E, Levy-Clarke G, Ryan P. Exposure to oral fluoroquinolones and the risk of retinal detachment: retrospective analyses of two large healthcare databases. Drug Saf. 2014 Mar;37(3):171-82. doi: 10.1007/s40264-014-0138-y. PubMed PMID: 24526267; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3936132.
Posters - other work
- Voss EA, Ryan PB, Blacketer C, Londhe A, Schuemie MJ. "Always ♥ Your Data: An Approach to Observational Data Lifecycle, Management in the OHDSI Ecosystem", European OHDSI Symposium 2018, Rotterdam, Netherlands, March 2018
Blacketer, C, Voss, EA. Creating a Framework for Evaluating Open Healthcare Claims Using the OMOP Common Data Model. Poster Presentation; OHDSI Symposium, Bethesda, MD; Oct. 2017.
- Londhe, AA, Huser, V, Voss, EA. The Impact of Data Quality Annotations on Observational; OHDSI Symposium, Bethesda, MD; Oct. 2017. (Best Poster Award)
- Weaver J, Schuemie MJ, Voss E, Ryan PB, “Evaluating the Comparative Self-Controlled Case Series Method.” Poster Presentation presented at Observational Health Data Sciences and Informatics (OHDSI), Washington, DC, September 2016.
Karcher, H., Wiecek, W., Nikodem, M., Voss, E.A., Sena, A., Cepeda, M.S. A new tool to automate Network Meta-Analyses (NMA) of studies extracted from ClinicalTrials.gov. ISPOR
- Voss E, Ryan PB, Stang PE, Hough D, Alphs L. Comparative Outcomes After Switching From Risperidone Long-Acting Injectable to Paliperidone Long-Acting Injectable or Oral Antipsychotics.
- American Psychiatric Association 167th Annual Meeting. May 2014, New York, NY.
- American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology (ASCP) Annual Meeting, June 2014, Hollywood, FL
- The French Congress of Psychiatry. November 2014, France.
- Voss E, Ma Q, Ryan PB. Standardization of Inpatient Visits into the ETL of OMOP Common Data Model. Observation Medical Outcomes Partnership (OMOP) – Innovation in Medical Evidence Development and Surveillance (IMEDS) 2013 Symposium. November 2013. (Best Poster Award)
- Voss E, Ryan PB, Madigan D, Weiner J. Exploring Dechallenge & Rechallenge Patterns in Observational Health Care Data: Feasibility & Utility of Patient-Level Natural Experiments in Risk Identification. Observation Medical Outcomes Partnership (OMOP) 2012 Symposium. July 2012.
- Reich C, van Zandt M, Voss EA, "OMOP-CDM and Standardized Vocabularies Tutorial", Rotterdam, Netherlands, March 24, 2018
- Voss EA. "Industry perspective of using the OMOP-CDM", Rotterdam, Netherlands, March 23, 2018
- Hripcsak G., Reich C, Voss EA, Natarajan K, Velez M., Van Zandt M, Belenkaya R, O’Hara D, Goodman M, Rao G, Dymshyts D, Torok D, Blacketer C, “OMOP Common Data Model and Standardized Vocabularies.” Washington, DC. October 11, 2017
- Voss EA, Belenakaya, Velez, Ratarajan - “OHDSI Tutorial: Common Data Model & Extract Transform and Load Tutorial” -Washington DC. September 24, 2016
- Voss EA, Belenakaya, Velez, Ratarajan - “OHDSI Tutorial: Common Data Model & Extract Transform and Load Tutorial”, Titusville, NJ. September 16, 2016
- Ryan PB, Voss EA. Introduction of OMOP Common Data Model for MD&D Epidemiology, New Brunswick, NJ July 13, 2016
- Makadia R, Voss EA, Ryan PB. Visualization of Observational Health Care Data. The 15th Annual J&J Pharma Statistics Conference. October 2013.